So in this article, we are going to talk about knee pain that is most common nowadays. We can overcome this knee pain or injury by using knee ice wraps. This is used for healing knee pain. The knee is considered as the largest weight-bearing joint in your whole body. According to studies, it experiences much stress and also the most commonly injured joint in your body.
We sometimes complain about bad knee or pain. It is also shown by the study that in America, half of the adults will most likely suffer from knee pain at any point in their lives.
This pain is becoming so common as our generation is taking artificial products. The products with artificial flavors, artificial vitamins and all that. That’s why we need to work on the damaged areas of our bodies separately.
Getting back to our topic, if your knee is injured or you started feeling pain in it. Then you must try a hot or cold therapy that can be done using a knee ice wrap. The wrap can either be cold or hot. That helps lessens your pain and heals your injury.
There are three types of knee ice wraps to heal your injury.
- Instant Cold Packs
- Gel Packs
- Clay Packs
Let’s now discuss each wrap separately with their advantages and disadvantages.
INSTANT COLD PACKS:
These packs are used for the purpose of ice wrap, or cold therapy. Now move towards its advantages and disadvantages.
- You don’t need to put it in the refrigerator before using it. Just fold it and shake it. That will automatically activate the content of the ice pack.
- It is lightweight and easy to carry.
- Great for first aid and emergency treatments.
- Available in all sizes.
- It is only for single use. You cannot reuse it.
- It can only be used for cold therapy.
- The content of the ice pack stays icy for a shorter period of time as compared to other gel packs and clay packs.
HOW IT WORKS:
The ice pack is made up of two bags inside it. One bag is filled with water while the other bag is filled with a chemical like calcium ammonium nitrate. When we shake it, the two internal bags hit each other and then break. That makes the two liquids of the beg mixed with each other.
When these two substances combine, this causes an endothermic reaction. This reaction makes the pack cool for several minutes. These packs are useful for outdoors, as they keep cold for about 15-20 minutes.
- Unlike cold packs, they are reusable
- They are cheap and easily available
- It can be used for both hot or cold therapy
- Available in different sizes and shapes depending on the different parts of the body
- In order to use for cold or hot therapy, you need to put it in a microwave or refrigerator.
HOW TO USE IT:
For cold therapy, keep your gel pack in the refrigerator in a flat position for at least 2 hours.
Of course for the hot therapy, you need to put the gel pack in the microwave. But it depends on the size of the gel pack that how much time it would take to heat up. Smaller gel packs usually take 10 seconds to heat up and larger ones take almost 40 seconds
Avoid applying it directly on your skin, this may damage your skin. Try using some kind of barriers like a towel or cloth.
Apply it on your skin for 15-20 minutes. Let the skin regain its original temperature before applying the gel pack the second time.
- They stay hot or cold for a longer period of time as compare to other packs.
- Yields a higher therapeutic effect by staying in place and holding onto the injured body part.
- It is produced by natural ceramic clay and non-toxic oils.
- It doesn’t freeze solid; it remains pliant even when it’s very cold.
- It is heavy in weight as compared to other packs.
- It takes a long duration to become hot or cool.
HOW TO USE IT:
For cold therapy, Place your clay pack in the freezer for 4 hours in the flat position. Flat position let the therapy pack mold easily on the affected area.
For hot therapy, place it in the microwave for about 60 seconds. After 60 seconds turn the pack and continue heating for 20 seconds.
The applying procedure is the same, don’t apply it directly on your skin. This may burn or damage your skin. Apply it using a towel or cloth.
Apply it for 15-20 minutes. Avoid exceeding the recommended duration.
CONSIDERING FACTORS BEFORE BUYING THE KNEE ICE WRAP:
There are some factors that you must consider before buying the knee ice wrap.
The pack must be according to the size of your knee. That fits you perfectly. Too big or too small will make it worse.
The material of the pack also matters. It must be soft and supportive construction. Your knee is already injured, and taking a bad quality material may increase your pain.
It must be easy to use and can be used by males and females.
As we are moving far from nature, we are becoming weak inside. Knee pain is one of the most common injuries. Healing the pain is important to keep enjoying your life. You need therapy to get rid of this knee pain, the therapy can either be hot or cold. The knee ice wraps are made for the same purpose. There are three types of wraps that we have discussed in this article.
The first one is an ice pack, whose material is activated by just shaking it. It stays cool for about 15-20 minutes. The second one is a gel pack, that can be used for both hot and cold therapies. You need to put it in the refrigerator or microwave to make it cold or hot respectively. The last one is a clay pack, that can also be used for both therapies.